Wednesday 28 July 2010

Do I hate stuff just because other people like it?

I recently saw a new advert for one of my least favourite television programs. Along with 'Big Brother' and 'Friends', 'Hollyoaks' has long been a key sparker of my TV ire fire and this advert, involving a group of highly attractive individuals walking about a bit in a photo studio, has removed any small lingering doubts I had that Hollyoaks is little more than an excuse for ogling at ladies soon to be regularly featured in 'Nuts' and 'Zoo'.

But over recent months, perhaps due to the mellowing effect of my old age, I have started to consider a point once aimed at me by a friend. During a particluarly vicious tirade against 'Gavin and Stacey', or 'wanky and wanky' as I like to call it, he suggested that I only dislike it because its popular. Could this be true? Am I merely being subconsciously contrarian? Or do I just want to stand out through hatred?

In essence... no.

No comments:

Post a Comment