Wednesday 18 August 2010

Think it through, dickhead...

The joys of having the opportunity of thinking something through before uttering it are, for the most part, lost on myself in addition to the majority of the rest of the human race. Often this takes the shape of an amusing 'miss-speak', such as my saying to a non-countryside type person "I have to close my window at night otherwise I get woken up by my next door neighbour's fierce cock". Sometimes it results in putting one's foot in it, such as the time I suggested that someone was a bit of pain in the arse before being told they recently died of anus cancer.

But there are occasions when I can and must insist on thinking something through before developing a clear opinion. This is particularly true on occasions where I may be unsure of my facts in a situation where facts are important, such as when a girl asks you if that's a didgeridoo in your pocket, or if you're merely pleased to see them. Though this works swimmingly in some settings, occasionally not giving an instant clear answer can hamstring your ability to change someones mind, mainly due to the problem of primacy (the first thing you hear on a subject is the thing you tend to believe) and this presents a balancing issue.

In order to balance the need to keep someone open to a change of heart and to ensure you're not sprouting high grade bollocks there remains a need to form opinions based on what little you know of the subject in the first place. But this cannot work if you know absolutely nothing about the subject in the slightest. And that, boys and girls, is why the Daily Mail is such utter shite.

No comments:

Post a Comment